The Nigeria Police participation in PSOs dates back to 1960 when the Force deployed her first contingent of Individual police officers (IPOs), led by ACP Louis Edet who later became the first indigenous Inspector–General of Nigeria Police Force to Congo (now DRC). This was the first time that The United Nations was deploying Police officers to a Peacekeeping operations and Nigeria and Ghana were the first countries to deploy.
Deployment of IPOs continued till June, 2004 when the Force deployed her first Formed police Unit (FPU) to the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL). With this deployment, Nigeria became the first country in Africa to deploy a Formed Police Unit to United Nations Peacekeeping mission. It is gratifying to note that the performance of the first FPU deployed to Liberia was highly exemplary and provoked the UN to request for the deployment of more Nigeria Formed Police Units to other United Nations Peacekeeping missions. Consequently, other FPUs were deployed in 2005 to DRC and Haiti. Since then, NPF has deployed FPUs to Darfur in Sudan, Guinea Bissau, Somalia and Maliunder the auspices of the UN, AU or ECOWAS. To a greater extent, personnel of the Nigeria Police Force that have served in Peacekeeping missions have performed so well that they have been commended by the UNDPKO and Heads of their respective missions.
The continued participation in Peace Support Operations has indeed exposed personnel of the Nigeria Police Force to modern day policing strategies that have been immensely beneficial to the Force and to the Nation in general.
Since Nigeria Police Force’s first deployment to Congo, Now DRC, the Force has creditably participated in the PSOs: –
- UN Operation in Congo (UNCE) – 1960 – 1964
- UN Assistance Group in Namibia (UNTAG) – 1989 – 1990
- UN Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) – 1992 – 1993
- UN Protection Force – Yugoslavia (UNPROFOR) – 1992 – 1995
- UN Angola Verification Mission (UNAVEM 1,11 & 111) – 1994 – 1997
- UN Operation in Somalia (UOISOM 1 & 11) – 1994 – 1995
- UN Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara (MINORSO) – 1994 – 1998
- UN Operation in Mozambique (UNMOZ) – 1994
- UN Assistance Mission in Rwanda (UNAMIR) – 1994
- UN Mission in Bosnia-Herzegovina (UNMIBIH) – 1995 – 2002
- UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNMEAT) – 1999 – 2012
- UN Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) – 1999 – 2005
- UN Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) – 1999 – 2012
- UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) – 2007 – 2009
- UN Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) – 2005 – 2011
- African Mission in Sudan (AMIS) – 2004 – 2007
- UN Operations in Burundi (ONUB) – 2004 – 2006